Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stories of a Runner - Turtles, Bugs, and Heat - Oh My!

It was a hot one in Chicago yesterday, about 91 degrees! We were warmer than the West Coast, California, Las Vegas, etc! Wow! But I welcomed it.

My day was a good one as far as eating went. It was standard food so I'll share my dinner.

4 oz. BBQ Chicken Tenders
1/2 cup mixed veggies
1/2 cup Brown Rice w/ Salsa

Have you ever mixed Brown Rice and Salsa together? Very good!! Tastes like Spanish rice!

I did go for a run yesterday after work. I wasn't looking forward to it. It was going to be hot and I thought I wasn't going to do good! But I felt the running groove right away! I decided to do the 5.5 miles I had planned. Most of my running on this route is right by busy streets. I don't like it but I know the distance. Most of it is also on a forest preserve trail. This trail runs mostly along these busy streets! I don't like running on busy streets but I suck it up.

While running, when the path winded through some trees and off the busy street, I was running with my mouth open. Note to self, don't run through a forest preserve with your mouth open! A bug went right in my throat! Then I started gagging. I tried running again but started gagging. I thought I could feel it move in my throat. I tried to make myself throw up on the side of the path but couldn't do it. I NEVER throw up! Started running but started gagging again. I seriously thought of turning around and going home. But eventually the bug dislodged from my throat and I was able to continue with the run.

Almost to my half way point, along a busy street, I came across a turtle. This poor thing! It was moving away from the busy street toward the grassy area. There is a pond but it's far down the hill. That turtle was never going to make it! And it's so hot out! Can turtles boil to death in their shells? I ran passed it but then stopped, turned and looked at the turtle. I was facing an ethical dilemma! I decided to run to the half way point, which was only about a minute away and back. Then I would see where the turtle was and assess the situation. Well, I couldn't find the turtle! He must have been faster than I thought. I hope the poor little guy made it to the water safely!

I wish I had my phone with my camera. I would have taken a picture. But I didn't bring it with me.

I did however, take a picture of my sweat-drenched self when I got home.

I took a picture of my front and of my back. My back was drenched in sweat, as was my chest and face. I'm sorry but it's hard to look good after running for an hour in the heat!

But like I said, it was a very good eating day. I'll try to keep this up for the rest of the week!


  1. LOL @ the bug! It's protein, right?!

    Great job out there, Amanda!

  2. Hee hee. Made me laugh, Amanda! You had "bugger" of a day, huh? Hee hee. Great job on the run in the heat. Supposed to be in the 90's here i8n Jersey for the next two days, and I want to run! I was supposed to run today, but decided I need to relax a bit. So I went for an hour work instead.

  3. hahhhaha!!! soooo...i guess you definitely got your protein in for the day! :0)

    i cannot believe you RAN in 91 degree heat! the only running i would have done is INTO my air conditioned house.